Lingvistov Film Discussion: Cashback (2006)
After a painful breakup, Ben develops insomnia. To kill time, he starts working the late night shift at the local supermarket, where his artistic imagination runs wild.
Director: Sean Ellis
Stars: Sean Biggerstaff, Emilia Fox, Michelle Ryan
ex.1 Explain the following words
ex. 2 Use these words in your own sentences
to be dumped by somebody
to solve the problem
to throw a party
to correct a mistake
to show up
ex. 1 Describe these characters from the film
Alan Jenkins (Ben's boss)
ex. 2 Answer the questions
- How did Ben develop insomnia?
- What did he do with the extra 8 waking hours?
- How did he meet Sharon?
- What did he and his co-workers do to fight boredom?
- Who and how did he draw at work?
- Who do you think was the mysterious stranger he saw after the football match?
- What happened at the party?
- What practical joke did Barry and Matt play on him? And what was the result of it?
ex. 3 Dwell on the following quotations from the film
Ben Willis: Once upon a time, I wanted to know what love was. Love is there if you want it to be. You just have to see that it's wrapped in beauty and hidden away in between the seconds of your life. If you don't stop for a minute, you might miss it.
Ben Willis: I read once about a woman whose secret fantasy was to have an affair with an artist. She thought he would really see her. He would see every curve, every line, every indentation and love them because they were part of the beauty that made her unique.
Ben Willis: There is an art to dealing with the boredom of an 8-hour shift. An art to putting your mind somewhere else while the seconds slowly tick away. I found that all the people working here had perfected their own individual art. Take Sharon Pintey. Sharon knows rule #1, the clock is the enemy. The basic rule is this: the more you look at the clock, the slower the time goes. It will uncover the hiding place of your mind, and torture it with every second. This is the basic art in dealing with the trade of your time.
ex. 4 Discuss the following
- Have you ever suffered from insomnia? What did you do to fight it? What would you do if you were Ben? Would you start working in a supermarket?
- Have you ever wanted to stop time? What would you do if you could?
- Do you think artists can see things that other people can't?
- Why are artists fascinated with female beauty? Do you understand their fascination?
- Have you ever wanted to be an artist?
- If you were an artist, what would you paint?
- What is beauty in your opinion? What do you find beautiful? Why do we need beauty in our lives?
- Is sight an important sense to you? Would you be able to live without it?
- Do you think art is important? Why (not)?