Учим английский с The Beatles: Yesterday
ex. 1 Read the lyrics to the song "Yesterday"
Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away
Now it looks as though they're here to stay
Oh, I believe in yesterday
Suddenly there's a shadow hanging over me
I'm not half the man I used to be
Oh, yesterday came suddenly.
Why she had to go?
I don't know, she wouldn't say
I said something wrong
Now I long for yesterday.
Yesterday love was such an easy game to play
Now I need a place to hide away
Oh, I believe in yesterday.
ex. 2 Explain the meaning of these expressions and make your own sentences with them
they are here to stay
to long for something
to hide away
ex. 3 Continue these sentences with "as though/as if"
- She looked as though...
- They told me nothing as though...
- I sit there as if...
- It seemed as though...
- The woman continued reading as if...
- The doctor closed the door as if...
- The mother was drinking her coffee as though...
ex. 4 Explain the phrase "she wouldn't say" and make your own similar sentences
ex. 5 Without looking at the lyrics try to remember the missing words:
- Yesterday, all my troubles __ so far away
- Now, it __ as though they're here to stay
- Oh, I __ in yesterday
- Suddenly, I'm not half the man I __ to be
- There's a shadow __ over me
- Oh, yesterday __ suddenly
- Why she __ to go, I don't know, she wouldn't say
- I __ something wrong, now I long for yesterday.
- Yesterday, __ was such an easy game to play
- Now, I __ a place to hide away
- Oh, I believe __ yesterday.
ex. 6 What do you know about the Beatles? Watch the video and answer the questions:
- Were John and Paul different or alike?
- Characterize John. Why did boys admire him? Why did girls like him?
- Characterize Paul. What was he better at than John?
- What was Paul brave enough to say to John?
- What was the most important decision the narrator refers to?